Saturday, February 12, 2011

Firearm safety for kids.

All to often, in my opinion parents shed negative light on firearms to their children at an early age. I would like to share with you the way my father taught me. I really respect the way he did this. The biggest reason for anti-gun people is a backwards knowledge of guns from a young age.

My dad started me out on a BB pistol when I was about 10 years old. He told me three very important rules about gun safety.

1. Always assume it is loaded.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
3. Never aim the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

He followed this up with this comment, "when I see that you have mastered these rules I will let you shoot my real one". I was really exited about being able to shoot a real gun and worked hard to prove I could follow the rules.

A few months later my dad did let me shoot his real gun because I displayed mature handling of my BB gun, this taught me 2 things; guns are not toys, but they are not inherently evil killing machines either.

No comments:

Post a Comment